This is a pre-order item only. It will be shipped on the release date of July 26, 2011.
Combining the best of the old and new with world premiere recordings, Sono Luminus is proud to announce the first of three upcoming albums from world renowned pianist Bruce Levingston. Levingston has created programs inspired by literature, the elemental aspects of light and dark, and the power of intimate sound.
The CD Heart Shadow contains three major piano works inspired by literature of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries including world premiere recordings of works by two of the most outstanding composers of our time: Rome Prizewinner Lisa Bielawa and Pulitzer Prize-winner Charles Wuorinen. The inspiration for Bielawa’s sweeping and emotionally charged “Elegy-Portrait” comes from a work of Rainer Maria Rilke; Wuorinen’s deeply touching and introspective “Heart Shadow” derives its genesis from a novella by Salman Rushdie. These exquisitely wrought and powerful new works, both written by leading composers of their generation, are heard alongside Robert Schumann’s brilliant and beloved masterpiece, “Kreisleriana”, a work also inspired by the world of letters, E.T. A. Hoffmann’s magical Katur Murr. Heard together, in elegant and richly colored interpretations by pianist Bruce Levingston, these three dark and magnificent piano works reflect the deep influences that great music and writing continue to have upon one another.
1. Kreisleriana, OP. 16 - Äußerst bewegt — Robert Schumann
2. Kreisleriana - Sehr innig und nicht zu rasch — Robert Schumann
3. Kreisleriana - Sehr aufgeregt — Robert Schumann
4. Kreisleriana - Sehr langsam Length — Robert Schumann
5. Kreisleriana - Sehr lebhaft — Robert Schumann
6. Kreisleriana - Sehr langsam — Robert Schumann
7. Kreisleriana - Sehr rasch — Robert Schumann
8. Kreisleriana - Schnell und spielend — Robert Schumann
9. Elegy-Portrait — Lisa Bielawa
10. Heart Shadow — Charles Wuorinen